Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
Coke vs. Gold Update
In my article from 8/16/16 Coke vs. Gold, I decided to compare Coke stock (KO) to 1g of gold since they were close in value, $43.91 (paying a dividend of $1.40/share/year) and $43.04 respectively. I reasoned or speculated that the stock KO will beat 1g of gold moving forward in terms of overall investment, and said I'd check in on them every year.
I checked in in 2017 with an update, and continued for 2018 and 2019.
The time has come again to do the checking for 2020.
Here is a graph of the performance of KO and GLD since 8/16/16
As we can see from the graph, KO is +14.28% and gold is +43.04% over this time period. Additionaly, KO's dividend has increased 17.14% from 2016 to 2020.
To summarize, if we started 8/16/16 with 1 share of KO, and 1g of gold, we'd have:
- 2016, KO = $43.91, $1.40/yr, 1g gold = $43.04
- 2017, KO = $46.20, $1.48/yr, 1g gold = $41.45
- 2018, KO = $46.08, $1.56/yr, 1g gold = $37.78
- 2019, KO = $53.74, $1.60/yr, 1g gold = $49.17
- 2020, KO = $50.19, $1.64/yr, 1g gold = $64.29
I believe the price of gold increased, and stocks generally decreased, because of COVID related concerns in 2020 Q1, and not based on any fundamentals. But, let's check back in on how they are doing 8/16/21 (and every year anniversary after).
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
Regarding investing: I do not provide personal investment advice and I am not a qualified licensed investment advisor. I am an amateur investor. All information found here, including any ideas, opinions, views, predictions, forecasts, commentaries, suggestions, expressed or implied herein, are for informational, entertainment or educational purposes only and should not be construed as personal investment advice. While the information provided is believed to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies. I will not and cannot be held liable for any actions you take as a result of anything you read here. Conduct your own due diligence, or consult a licensed financial advisor or broker before making any and all investment decisions.
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!