Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
Experimental Poetry 18
This experimental poetry idea is to write a poem where each word begins with the next letter in the alphabet until the alphabet is exhausted. For example, if the first word is "always", the next word needs to begin with the letter "b", and the third word needs to begin with the letter "c", and so on, until the last or 26th word in the poem which will need to begin with the letter "z".
For example, consider my Freeverse 261, where I merge talking about chopping down firewood with killing elephants and use this "a-z" idea:
axes boom! chopping down elephant firewood gathered hurriedly industrial joy, killing large mossy nature often passing quotas rotting stumps, trunks unused vultures whispering xylotomous yelling zugzwang!
One could also start such a poem with a word that begins with any letter. For example, starting the poem with "cats" would make the last word in the poem begin with the letter "b". One also doesn't have to be limited to a poem of 26 words. Once a word with the last letter is reached, simply stop for poems with less than or equal to 26 words, or loop back through the alphabet as much as you'd like if you want the poem to have more than 26 words.
A related idea is to have each word begin with the last letter of the previous word. For example, if "cats" was the first word, because "cats" ends with the letter "s", the second word needs to begin with the letter "s", and so on. There are a lot of possible variations.
One can use the technique discussed in my Acrostic Maker to randomly select words beginning with various letters. This can greatly assist in searching for words that fit well.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
For poetry, I recommend:
- High Quality Every Day Carry (EDC) Bolt Action Pens & Pencils by Bastion. Use discount code JS20 to get 20% off!
- Shop at The Poet Life store
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!