Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
Poetry Word Cloud
When I had 2,456 poems, I decided to make a word cloud using the 53,590 words from these poems because I was curious about the frequencies of repeatedly used words. The current poem count is poems, which can be read here.
Here are the steps of how I made the word cloud:
- Paste all the lines of each poem into a column in Excel
- Use Excel's "Text to Columns" feature, delimiting by space, to put each word into a column
- Paste each of the columns into a single column
- Use Excel's functions lower(), trim(), clean(), to make the text lowercase and remove extra spaces
- Remove "stop words" (like "the", "of", "a", etc.") and non-letter characters (like "(", ")", "?", "!", "-", etc.) from the analysis
- Copy/paste this column into a Free Word Cloud Generator or similar site
- Choose a color scheme you like and generate and save the .jpg
My summary is that I like writing about water, colors, and nature in general in my poems.
I plan to recreate the word cloud on an infrequent basis, say every few thousand poems or so. I am interested in how this word cloud could change over time.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways: