Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
Why No Titles?
Why do your poems not have any titles? I've heard this question with enough frequency that I thought I'd address it here.
Far from being titleless, all of the poems that I've written (which can be found here) have titles. The titles just happen to be numbers - more of a unique identifier or ID.
I started my poetry career/experiment by writing haiku. Because haiku are 3 lines, an additional title using words would become 1/4th of the poem, which didn't make much sense to me. In other words, I feel the work or the poem itself is the body of the poem and not the title.
Also, the text of titles is more difficult to make original compared to the content of the body of poems. I have, for example, read different poems that have the same titles before.
I also knew that Dickinson and some others did not use titles, and they turned out just fine. In fact, their titles ended up being numbers or future readers just assigned a title based on the first line, or a memorable line, of their poems.
Also, titles are often simply an artifact of publishing industry requirements.
Not using titles also matches my workflow and website format well. The HTML names and random sampling of poems work best using numbers as titles, and all titles are guaranteed to be as unique as possible. Also, readers and myself can assess my quantity just by looking at the titles.
There are some good things about word titles, of course. Such titles can add some depth or background to a poem, or make it more memorable because we seem to connect more with words than numbers.
Thanks for reading.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
For poetry, I recommend:
- High Quality Every Day Carry (EDC) Bolt Action Pens & Pencils by Bastion. Use discount code JS20 to get 20% off!
- Shop at The Poet Life store
Please show me a randomly selected poem
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!