Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
A Simple Motor
In this short article I'd like to share a very simple motor that my son and I made. Actually, it is a half-motor. You can find out how to do this, and other fun projects, by checking out this electronics kit
Check out our motor:
As you can see, our parts consist of
- two large paperclips
- 1 D battery
- 1 rubberband to keep the wires on the battery
- two copper wires with insulation
- 1 block of foam
- 1 strong magnet
- 1 rubberband to keep the magnet in place
- 1 long wire wrapped into a coil
This thing spins fast! By the way, the sandpaper is to sand one side of the left and right leads of the coil. That is, if the coil looks like ---O---, to sand say just the top parts of each ---. This is why it is called a "half" motor. When the bare wire contacts the paper clips, the circuit completes and it spins. When the insulated portions of the wire contact the paperclips, the circuit is not complete, and it stops albeit momentarily.
We plan on experimenting by changing the battery, the number of turns of the coil, the strength and size of the magnet, and adding other components, to see what happens.
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!