Email firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up to receive news and updates
Learn to Solder
Because of my amateur radio hobby, I thought it would be a good idea to learn basic electronics. To move up with your electronics knowledge, you should also learn how to solder, in my opinion. This way you can build kits, make repairs, and troubleshoot better. Not to mention, it could allow you to do better electronics around the house, ie. outside of your electronics related hobby.
For my last birthday, my awesome wife got me the "Elenco AmeriKit Learn to Solder Kit" , as well as a "helping hand" with magnifying glass to help hold stuff.
The soldering practice kit comes with a pretty good instruction booklet that talks about basic electronics and soldering. It also comes with the board, various electronic components, a 25W soldering iron, 5ft of lead-free solder, a basic soldering iron rest, wire cutter, and a solder wick.
I've found the practice kit to be really fun. It is a good refresher of the last time I did soldering which was in 1993 or so! So far I've soldered onto single pads, double pads, made solder bridges, removed solder bridges, simulated a repair to a cracked board using solder bridges and a stripped wire, soldered a wire onto the board, and several other basic techniques to start my learning.
I think an improvement to the kit could be if the kit also came with a basic needle-nose pliers (instead of me using the wire cutter, with just a little pressure, as a pliers). This way the wire and solder wick could be held more safely and easily and "right out of the box".
Please anonymously VOTE on the content you have just read:Like:
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways:
- PLEASE take a moment to check out two GoFundMe fundraisers I set up. The idea is to make it possible for me to pursue my passions. My goal is to be able to create free randomized educational worksheets and create poetry on a full-time basis. THANK YOU for your support!
- Email email@example.com to sign up to receive news and updates
- Donate any amount via PayPal
- Take my Five Poem Challenge
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Visit my Amazon author page
- Buy what you need on Amazon using my affiliate link
- Follow me on Twitter here
- Buy ad space on Statisticool.com
AFFILIATE LINK DISCLOSURE: Some links included on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the affiliate link provided I may receive a small commission (at no additional charge to you). Thank you for the support!