Meaningful American Kenpo Milestones
There are probably several dates in any martial art that are very important to you. Some that come to mind are
- the date you first saw or heard of a particular martial art
- the date you thought about starting the martial art
- the date you actually started
- the date you learned to tie your belt
- the date you learned to bow or salute
- the date you "perfected" a technique or form
- the date you got your black (or any other) belt
In American kenpo, which the majority of my martial arts experience is in, there is one date I am particularly fond of, and that is 7/6/2011, the date which I learned the magical technique "5 swords".
Here is a picture of my notebook from that day. You can click to expand it
Note that there are many variations of "5 swords". The main ideas, as I see them, are to intercept a punching attack, move from point of orgin, check, use a variety of flowing strikes, footwork, and even incorporate a kick at the end. This is one technique that flows really well. If American kenpo had a Jerry West dribbling the ball NBA type of logo, it would be of someone doing 5 swords.
Please let me know the date which you learned 5 swords and send a picture of it from your notebook. Happy practice!
If you enjoyed any of my content, please consider supporting it in a variety of ways: